Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Everything Old is New Again

I enjoy going to thrift stores and finding some treasure buried amongst the piles of dishes and cups. I used to go thrifting a lot when I was going to college. There was a small street filled with thrift stores. I found so many awesome things there. Jewelry, clothing , records, and various knick knacks. Since we moved to Northern Nevada, I've noticed that there aren't that many thrift stores. The ones in town are really small. Even in Carson City, there on the smaller side and that's the state's capital.

There are a few antique stores in town though. My favorite on is Cheshire Antiques. Its a two story building with lots of neat booths. I've bought some jewelry, a purse, and gloves there. Being an antique store they are a bit over-priced. My favorite booth always has good purses and hats but they ask too much for them. I really want to start building a vanity in our room. I have an area set up for it. I probably won't start looking for one until Spring. I'd love to find something like this . I can always just find so in me lightly beat-up table and fix it up. I actually made a vanity table and stool in wood shop my senior year in high school. It's at my parents house. I made it too big and it ended up being a writing desk. I bought a couple of vintage metal shelves like this except in a white finish. Some of the paint is chipped but I like the way it looks. I want to make a few hat stands to put my hats on display.

Anyways, the last couple of weeks we went thrifting. On New Year's weekend we went to Reno. We shopped at Virginia Street Antique Mall. They have a lot of awesome booths but the old ladies can be rude at best. My sister and I went shopping for jewelry. She loves vintage jewelry. She says no one at school as stuff like that. I have this habit of getting things I like and putting them in a "maybe" pile. I shop around and think if I really want to buy it or it's an impulse buy. This works really well when I go craft shopping. So I set aside a black and white bead bracelet, a pair of dark gray gloves, a couple of stud earrings, and a ceramic cat figurine. My sister also set a few pieces of jewelry aside. I didn't know but they cashier rings everything up that has been set aside. After we look around, we go up to pay. The old lady tells me it's $40 and I told her there were two separate purchases there. She gets all pissy and says "So what are you getting?" in a very snotty tone. I told her I'd just take the ceramic cat, earrings, and gloves. I was raised to put things back were they belong. I put the bracelet back where I found it. She gets even more snotty and argues with me that the bracelet wasn't originally where I put it back. I told her it DID belong there . Then she realizes she labelled it wrong and doesn't apologize it. This to me is shitty customer service. She then lets me know that the gloves I wanted are actually $8.50 instead of the $3.50 that was scratched over. I told her as much and she kept saying "I don't see it dear." Whatever. I liked the gloves but they needed some repair. I passed on them . She was visibly upset but I didn't care. She treated my sister and I like we were going to steal stuff. I think from now on I'll stick to Junkee's. So this is my latest addition to my cat collection Photobucket .
I had seen it during Thanksgiving when we went there with my in-laws. I really liked it. It was still there so I bought it. Yay! Onto Junkee's.
Ah Junkee's. This place was totally awesome. They have a huge building. The outside of it is very different from the rest of the area. There are lots of bright neon colors. They have pastel colored tires as a barrier in the front. The left half of the building is all second hand clothes, shoes, and accessories. The right half of the has all the vintage/antique items. They have soo many purses, gloves, scarves, and jewelry. They also have a vintage bar in there. They have a lot of things. One of my favorite booths had a ton of petticoats used as wall decor. I want to buy one but they were a bit torn.
There I bought this awesome pink purse:
Photobucket it also came with a small plastic comb with gilded words : Lennox Bags. I really love the shape and color of this purse. I've looked through a ton of purses and haven't really seen this shape. It has a gold interior . I also bought a glove glove clip . I got it for a cool $3.50

I'll have to make another post with the rest of my recent finds. Until then ciao!

2 comments:

  1. First of all- Love the cat!

    Second of all- bad customer service is the worst. Makes me crazy.

    Thanks doll,
    The Glamorous Housewife

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kitty is the cutest. I own a few on these as salt n pepper shakers.
    adorable cute bolsa!
    I hate when people follow you around like your going to steal their crap. cant wait to see your glove clip.
    besos

    ReplyDelete